Akashiso or Akajiso is the very traditional Japanese herb. The flavor is really good and commonly used in pickled ume shiso. It can also be used in Shiso syrup (juice).
Akashiso syrup can be a good medicine to fight summer heat and fatigue.
Shiso was brought and enjoyed since Heian-Period. Not only because of its nice smell, but its good effect on our health.
Originally, shiso is from Himalaya and Burma but brought to Japan via China. In China, shiso was said to save people from food poisoning.
This is why it's called "shiso (紫=purple (蘇=to revive) .
Shiso is nutritious and includes the following:
Carotene, Vitamin B, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Potassium and etc...
Especially, shiso is one of the vegetables with the greatest amount of Vitamin B1.
Shiso also brags rich amount of polyphenol which has antioxidant function.
1 pack (300g)
To preserve the quality of the product, avoid direct sunlight / places with high heat and humidity.
There is a great way to use the leftover akashiso from making of akashiso juice:
please check the Akashiso Furikake Recipe or go to the bottom of the page.
How to make Akashiso Syrup (Akashiso Syrup / Juice) :
Akashiso ... 300g
Water ... 2L
Sugar ... 500g-750g
Lemon syrup or vinegar ... 90ml.
1. Get rid of all stems from aka shiso.
2. Prepare 2L of water in a pot. Put all 300g of akashiso in the pot.
3. Cook in boiling water for 2 minutes.
4. Using a strainer, separate the akashiso leaves and purple liquid.
5. With purple liquid in the pot, add 500g to 750g of sugar (depending of preference).
6. With low heat, cook until sugar is melted.
7. Turn off the heat. Complete.
If you would like to keep in a bottle, do make sure to sterilize the bottle.
We recommend to enjoy it as akashiso juice but also...
1. Sparkling water
3. Cocktail (popular Japanese Izakaya alcohol, known as Akashiso Sour (赤しそサワー))
How to make Akashiso Furikake:
- Minimum order amount is $55.
- Free delivery for orders above $100.
- For orders below $100 (excluding delivery fee), there will be a chargeable $10 delivery fee.
- Delivery limited only within mainland Singapore