One of the best seasonal vegetables and fruits of autumn is Chestnut.
Chestnut will be in the market since the middle of September. and will only last for around 1 month.
The sweet chestnut can be cooked in many ways but the most familiar recipe is Chestnut Rice.
How to Enjoy the sweetness at its best:
In order to enjoy the sweet taste of chestnut, do make sure the following step first: The key is to ripe the chestnut in cold temperature to grow brix inside.
- Mochi Rice (can be normal rice) ... 2 GOU
- Chestnut ... 200g
- cooking sake ... 2 tbsp.
- Shiro Dashi ... 2 tbsp.
- Sesame & Salt ... 1/2 small tbsp.
Preparation of chestnuts:
- leave chestnut in water for 30 minutes OR leave chestnut in hot water and let it cool for 30 to 60 minutes. *this makes it easier to peel off the shell.
- peel off every chestnut shell.
- peel off inner peels.
- as soon as peeled, leave them in water until all chestnuts are peeled off. *removes scums.
Steps: Cooking chestnut rice.
- wash mochi rice and leave in water for 30 minutes. after, dry the wet.
- add Shiro Dashi
- add Cooking Sake.
- put mochi rice into a rice cooker and add water til 2 gou (2合) "2" in the meter.
- start the rice cooker.
- after it's cooked, put it onto a bowl and sprinkle sesame & salt.
If you would like to try our Ibaraki Chestnut, please check the product page: